29 December, 2010

so it burns, so I live...

For Meghan

I feel so many things,
I think too much. My mind is always racing,

my insides are always fluttering.

My tear ducts
are constantly open,

and my heart is permanently attached to my sleeve.

Though I avoid commitment,
I have also learned when to ground my feet
in the earth,


for I'm never able to walk away from a heart-----no matter how it thwarts my own.

I lose my breath at night, thinking of him,
and I wake up sweating with teeth clenched.

My. Peace. Has. Been. Shaken.

Still, my heart beats recklessly,
impulsively and foolishly.

I have a passionate fire
that consumes my insides.

It's beautiful and yet dangerously out of control,
the way only fire can be.

I hurt.
I miss.I long for.


But I am well.
I would never smother my fire,
for though its burn is painful . . .
the life it brings me is invaluable.

I will never trade my burning fire;

its worth incalculable.

And I will never settle for the stagnant, lifeless existence that
is left
in the remains
of
The Fire.

1 comment:

  1. This is truly beautiful. Thank you for posting it. This a great gift to my soul and I hope others read this and relate. If not I'm happy to feel so passionately connected to you. It was truly artistic to add pictures and break-up the phrases. You are in your creative phase. I can't say thank you enough. Sorry I did not fly to Des Moines. I love you the same. Happy New Year...almost!

    ReplyDelete